CPE ICAI | CPE Hours Credit Requirements & Status
What is CPE ? No seriously , What is it ?
CPE stands for Continuing Professional Education. To put it simply , becoming a CA after burning midnight oil and passing all those exams is not enough , ICAI wants its members to study even after becoming a CA (no pun intended).
Well it is because the profession of a CA requires it . A CA needs to be updated with the latest developments in accounting , taxation , law and such other fields which lead to the origin of the concept of ”Continuing Professional Education ” or CPE .
ICAI has been working on providing continuous inputs to its members through seminars, lectures, workshops, technical literature etc . Now a formal system of accountability has been introduced . Each member is required to complete a minimum number of hours of study (cpe hours) in a block of 3 years as discussed below .
CPE ICAI Requirements
Members of ICAI have been divided into 4 categories . CPE hours requirements are different for different categories for the Block period of 3 years (01-01-2011 to 31-12-2013)
Category 1 : All the members who are holding Certificate of Practice (except those members who are residing abroad), unless exempted, are required to:
- Complete at least 90 CPE credit hours in each rolling three-year period of which 60 CPE credit hours should be of structured learning.
- Complete minimum 20 CPE credit hours of structured learning in each year.
Category 2 : All the members who are not holding Certificate of Practice or are residing abroad (whether holding Certificate of Practice or not), unless exempted, are required to:
- Complete at least 45 CPE credit hours of structured/unstructured learning in each rolling three-year period
- Complete minimum 10 CPE credit hours of structured/unstructured learning in each year.
Category 3 : All the members (above 60 years of age) who are holding Certificate of Practice, unless exempted, are required to:
- Complete at least 70 CPE credit hours (structured/unstructured) in each rolling three-year period.
- Complete minimum 10 CPE credit hours of structured/ unstructured in the first year i.e. 2011
- Complete minimum 20 CPE credit hours of structured/ unstructured in the second and third year i.e. 2012 & 2013.
Category 4 : All the members (above 60 years of age) who are not holding Certificate of Practice are required to:
- Complete at least 35 CPE credit hours (structured/unstructured) in each rolling three-year period.
- Complete minimum 5 CPE credit hours of structured/ unstructured in the first year i.e. 2011
- Complete minimum 10 CPE credit hours of structured/ unstructured in the second and third year i.e. 2012 & 2013.
What is Structured and Unstructured Learning ?
Well, ICAI has issued advisories on structured/unstructured learning i.e. learning activities have been classified specifically as structured or unstructured .
Unstructured Learning Includes (but is not limited to )
i. Self-learning modules and courses (use of audiotapes, videotapes,
correspondence courses, computer based learning programmes)
ii. Reading and individual home study
- Reading and Individual Home Study may constitute reading articles
in the Journal, ‘The Chartered Accountant’ of the Institute, reading
technical, professional, financial or business literature.
iii. Group or bilateral discussion on technical issues
iv. Acting as visiting faculty or guest faculty at the various Universities /
Management Institutions / Institutions of National Importance
v. Participation in CPE Teleconferencing Programmes without the
supervision of the POU
vi. Providing solutions to questionnaires / puzzles available on Web /
For further clarification on Structured an unstructured learning Click Here
CPE ICAI Credit Status – Online
CPE hours status can be checked online by visiting http://cpe.icai.org/
Members can Login by using their memberhip number as user id .
Password : cpe+6 digit membership no.
By Paramjit Singh